Stop Thinking About Sex
Stop Thinking About Sex
From Tips and Steps
Do you find yourself thinking about sex every time you see an attractive guy or girl? Are you looking to exhibit some self control over your thoughts? Here are some tips and guidelines that you can follow to help stop thinking about having sex.
- Develop your willpower. If you truly want to stop thinking about sex, you need to make a commitment to yourself and stick with it! At a minimum, you should make a goal to curb your sexual thoughts so that they don't distract you from your other daily activities, such as work or school.
- Understand that there is nothing wrong with thinking about sex. It's entirely natural, and everyone does it. Biologically speaking, it is next to impossible to stop thinking about sex completely, as your body instinctively drives to reproduce.
- Don't forcefully try to block the thoughts from your head. By telling yourself not to think about sex, you are still putting the thoughts of sex in your head.
- Find a way to occupy yourself. You might try working out, reading a book, taking a walk, or taking up meditation. Spend some time with your friends. Watch a movie. Play an instrument. Go out to dinner at a restaurant. While outside activities are probably not going to get thoughts about sex completely off your mind, it will help to facilitate other thoughts outside of sex.
- Avoid giving in to temptation. Try not to objectify an individual by staring at all of their body parts. Avoid looking at pornographic images and/or reading erotic writing. Remember, temptation is harmful and denying yourself the opportunity can help to keep sex off your mind.
- Try to slowly stop thinking about sex. Take small steps at a time.
- If all else fails, think about things that you would never associate with sex. Envision your grandmother baking cookies if you don't find that too disturbing. Call your mother or father on the phone. Think about aluminum siding (or vinyl if that doesn't work). Be creative with your unsexy thoughts!
- Don't frustrate yourself over sexual thoughts. Remember that everyone else thinks about sex, too. What matters is that you can still go on with your daily life without letting something as silly as sex bother you.
- Release expectations. Expectation makes you feel like you should do something about your desires. Simply let the desires flow in and out of your mind without expecting yourself to do anything about them. Learn how to enjoy desires rather than expecting yourself to fulfill them.
- Know that sexual thoughts and feelings are natural for everyone. If you never have sexual thoughts, you probably wouldn't enjoy the real thing at all!
- Recite words to yourself - scriptures are helpful, or just a promise you made to yourself. When you speak, all other thoughts stop.
- In highly severe cases, obsession over sex can be managed by therapy and medication. While chances are, you aren't thinking about sex nearly as much as you may think that you are, speak to your doctor if you believe that your thoughts are completely uncontrollable.
- Do not engage in intercourse with another individual without their consent. While you may have heard it several times before, "no" still means "no" and IS rape.
Related Tips and Steps
- How to Break a Habit
- How to Stop Staring at a Girl's Boobs
- How to Have Willpower
- How to Overcome an Addiction to Porn As a Teenager
- How to Stay Focused on Your Dreams (for Teens)
- How to Get Rid of Bad Habits
From Wikihow Stop Thinking About Sex