Glutathione is the body's master antioxidant. It is millions of times more powerful than vitamin C or any exotic juice. Raising the body's glutathione level is like discovering the fountain of youth. Raising your body's glutathione is like "An IDEA"- Antioxidant, Immune System Optimizer, Detoxifier, Energy Booster, and Anti-Aging Protein.
There are many ways for how to raise your glutathione level. You can't just eat glutathione, it will have no effect on your glutathione level. The two methods that are the most thoroughly researched for efficacy in raising intracellular glutathione are variants of cysteine.
N Acetyl Cysteine, which is a pharmaceutical over the counter drug, and bonded cysteine, as is found in the undenatured whey protein nutraceutical Immunocal, are both proven to be efficacious in raising glutathione values.
Raising glutathione levels has an impact on nearly every disease state, including HIV, cancer, hepatitis, and cystic fibrosis to name a few. There are now over 86,000 published studies on glutathione and it's effects in the body.
So your best bet is to take either N Acetyl Cysteine or bonded cysteine. You can find N Acetyl Cysteine supplements at the natural food store, and bonded cysteine must be purchased through an Immunotec consultant. MaxGXL makes a supplement that has N Acetyl Cysteine in it as well that may be purchased through a MaxGXL consultant. Both supplements have a similar cost, and different side effects.
- N Acetyl Cysteine
- Bonded Cysteine
- The following building blocks or precursors have been shown to raise your glutathione level to a lesser extent. You can find these at a natural food store:
- Cysteine or L-Cysteine
- Methionine or L-Methionine
- Glutamine or L-Glutamine
- Alpha Lipoic Acid or Lipoic Acid
- Silymarin or Milk Thistle
- Additionally, there are two forms of glutathione that have been shown in some medical studies to raise your glutathione level. They are:
- Liposomally protected glutathione supplements such as Lipoceutical Glutathione- the special coating enables it to survive the digestive process and enter the bloodstream
- Intravenous or IV glutathione injections. This is relatively expensive and requires the help of a doctor. These two forms will raise glutathione in your blood serum, but not in your lymphocytes where you need it for your immune system to exert its full potential.
- There are also a number of co-factors that are necessary to take along with your selected glutathione enhancer. These may also be found at a natural food store:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Micronutrients Magnesium, Vanadium, and Zinc
- Raising your glutathione levels the following ways may work, although have not been thoroughly researched yet:
- Transdermal skin creams
- Glutathione suppositories such as those made by Hopewell Pharmacy
- Foods high in glutathione like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage
- Always consult with your doctor before taking anything new.
Template:Video:Raise Your Glutathione Level
- It might be a good idea to get your glutathione level checked before attempting to raise your glutathione level. This way you will be able to test if you are effectively raising it. Your doctor may be able to recommend you to a testing facility.
- Research is ongoing for a simple yet effective glutathione level test. As of this writing, it is difficult to find a reputable facility to test your glutathione levels. If you notice an improvement in the noted areas, you are probably effectively raising your glutathione levels.
- Ingesting raw glutathione is counter productive. Most of it is destroyed in the stomach, and that which makes it to the blood stream is too large to pass through the cell wall to enter the cell where it is used. However, supplements that provide the building blocks of glutathione can pass through the cell wall and give the cells what they need to produce their own glutathione.
- Denatured whey protein, such as is found in a natural food or sports nutrition store, will do nothing to increase glutathione levels. Undenatured whey protein isolate will raise glutathione levels. When milk is pasteurized, it is denatured. This means that the natural, bioactive elements are destroyed. However, undenatured whey protein still contains the important elements, such as bonded cysteine, or two cysteine molecules linked together, which is a precursor to glutathione that is missing from the standard American diet.
- N Acetyl Cysteine is a drug with potentially toxic side effects and is not recommended for infants and children.
Related Tips and Steps
Sources and Citations