Furniture and other heavy objects can flatten the pile of some carpet types. Here are some ways to coax it back again after moving the furniture around.
- Warm an iron that has steam capacity.
- Hold the iron above the flattened patch and squirt a few shots of steam downwards. Do not touch the carpet with the heated iron pad.
- Use a very wide toothed comb, a spoon, or a coin, (or a combination) to coax back the flattened carpet. With gradual combing/pushing, you will see the pile begin to lift up.
- Repeat the steam process as needed.
- Regularly moving furniture around a little can help avoid flattening pile too deeply.
- When moving house, get a good steam cleaning contractor; they will easily lift flattened pile without fuss.
Things You'll Need
- Steam iron
- Very wide toothed comb or a spoon or a coin
Related Tips and Steps