From Tips and Steps
Perform a Tracheotomy
If someone is choking and the Heimlich Maneuver doesn't work after 3 successive attempts then a tracheotomy (also called a cricothyroidotomy) may need to performed, by trained medical professionals.
- Get someone to look at a clock/watch and call out the minutes (e.g 60 seconds have passed so they shout "1 minute"). Don't forget the rule of 3: 3 minutes without oxygen means brain death!
- Spread the tissue (skin etc) apart horizontally
- To maintain the opening to facilitate breathing, a soda straw or tube was placed in the opening. A ball point pen casing is also a good tube. (Elapsed time - three minutes)
- Get the victim to hospital immediately where further treatment can be provided.
- Have someone call emergency services whilst abdominal thrusts and backslaps are being administered. Advise them that the airway is not clearing, and an emergency procedure may be necessary.
- Reassure the casualty, panicking may make the choking worse.
- This is an extremely dangerous procedure, that carries a high risk of death to the casualty.
- Trained medical professionals only should attempt this procedure.
- Whatever you use for a breathing tube, make sure it is clean! Otherwise, contamination could kill the patient.
Things You'll Need
- A sharp knife
- A soda straw or ball point pen
Related Tips and Steps
- How to Get Rid of Hiccups When You Are Drunk
- How to Stop a Sneeze
- How to Cure Hiccups
- How to Learn the Signs and Symptoms of Tuberculosis
Sources and Citations
- Images courtesy of http://www.anatomyatlases.org/firstaid/Choking.shtml
Commentscomments powered by Disqus