From Tips and Steps
Make Crispy Cookies
Do you hate cake-y cookies? Here's a tip for getting your cookies to be crispy and chewy, not fluffy and cake-like. This tip is for regular chocolate chip cookies, but can apply to similar recipes.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (113g)
- 1 1/8 cup flour (144g)
- 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda (2.3g)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (1.38g)
- 3/4 cup sugar - half light brown, half regular
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 bag chocolate chips
- Do not use an electric mixer. This whips too much air into the batter, which results in cake-y cookies.
- Let the butter soften first at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl with a whisk.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the softened butter, but not too much. Add your sugar and stir until incorporated. Add egg and vanilla and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 increments, stirring after each addition with your wooden spoon until blended. Finally, add chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon onto cookie sheet, bake in preheated 375 degree oven until brown, about 9 minutes, and then cool on rack.
- To make cookies extra crispy and with an even better texture, substitute 1/8 cup of the flour with 1/4 cup oats, ground in a coffee grinder or food processor until fine but not powdery (about 5 seconds).
- Use a Silpat (French silicone baking mat) for really great crispiness without danger of burning the bottoms of the cookies.
- Wear oven mitts when taking out cookies . Be careful not to burn yourself if you have rubber mitts.
Related Tips and Steps
- How to Make Hamburger Cookies
- How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- How to Create a Perfect Chewy Cookie
- How to Turn Store Bought Hard Cookies Soft
- How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies with Store Bought Dough
- How to Make Meringues
- How to Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- How to Make a Fortune Cookie
- How to Make Christmas Tree Cookies
- How to Make Cinnamon Cookie Ornaments
- How to Make Magic Cookie Bars
- The Poison Oak & Poison Ivy Survival Guide
- How to bond with Stepchildren
- Cure Heartburn in Minutes
- The Wire