From Tips and Steps
Make Chocolate Fudge Cake Without Eggs?
This recipe shows you how to make chocolate fudge cake without eggs.
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (used corn oil)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (I was out of vanilla)
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with spray (I greased with vegetable oil and coated with cocoa).
- Whisk water and cocoa in a small bowl until smooth. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, and make a well in center. Add cocoa mixture, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in vinegar. Pour into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, invert it onto rack, and turn cake right side up. Let cool completely. Transfer cake to a serving plate or a cake stand. Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 50g (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut in 8 pieces
- 170g/ 6 ounces finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a double-boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring once in a while. Keep the heat low, or the chocolate and butter will separate. Transfer the bowl to the counter when mixture is smooth.
- In a small heavy saucepan, mix the cream, corn syrup, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Pour about 1/4 of the hot cream over the chocolate mixture. Stir until smooth. Pour over the rest of the cream in two more additions, stirring gently until the sauce is shiny and smooth again. Let the sauce cool for 10 minutes before using.
- You can keep the sauce for up to 3 weeks in the fridge. Reheat carefully in the microwave.