Stepfamilies are different
- The complexity of stepfamilies - there are many more family relationships in stepfamilies. There are likely to be grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings and a parent living outside the family with no links with other members of the stepfamily.
- The new couple’s different attitudes to child-rearing.
- Emotional upheavals. Family members may have experienced distress from the break-up of the previous marriage or relationship. Some may still be grieving for the family they have lost.
- Huge changes. All members of the stepfamily, including those living outside the family, must cope with the change and make a number of adjustments.
- More parents. There are more parent figures in a stepfamily and the parenting may be shared by someone outside the family.
- Different likes and dislikes. There is no common history and different family members may have different ideas about how things are done.
Read more from Relationships Australia